Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ridiculous!

Ridiculous!

I am conducting a poll of the masses... I realize that the masses have no reason to frequent our little blog so spread the word. Along with working, at work my co-workers and I have semi-heated discussions about various topics. I am not a very excitable person by nature, I am however, more passionate than most about good music. I love music! And it turns out I am relatively opinionated about the greatness of bands. My duty here is to not sway the pollee but to present the argument and let you, the reader, decide. I am aware that what I am about to present to you may seem like a no brainer - I feel the exact same way - just let reason guide your responses so that the truth will prevail.

Yesterday Curtis called me on the way home and our discussions turned to music. If you know Curtis, you know he is no stranger to crazy ideas but he made the most outrageous statement that I can remember hearing. Today as the debate continued I was dumbfounded by his commitment to the aforementioned statement. I proposed that we put it to a poll and let that decide our arguments. The topic was regarding "Greatest bands of all time". One of us is feels Pearl Jam is a greater band than Led Zeppelin - one of us does not. So here we go. I am going to outline a set list of 10 songs chosen by each of us for our respective bands. The challenge we levy to you is to choose which band you would like to see - in their prime - playing the given set list. The band with the most votes wins. Pretty simple. Here you go:

Pearl Jam

- Crazy Mary (cover)
- Just Breathe
- Yellow Ledbetter
- Black
- Sonic Reducer (cover)
- Porch
- Better Man
- Nothing Man
- Dock By the Bay (cover)
- Footsteps

Led Zeppelin

- Whole Lotta Love
- Achilles Last Stand
- Kashmir
-Since I Been Lovin You
- Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
- Over the Hills and Far Away
- Traveling River Side Blues
- D'Yer Mak'r
- Ram ble On
- When The Levee Breaks

You can also choose to go to one of the concerts but feel like the other is still the better band - that is allowable, just state as such.


Thank you for your assistance in this matter


Jeff & Curtis

10 comments:

Andy and Bri said...

I like Pearl Jam, don't get me wrong. They are a great band. However, I would definitely put my vote in for Led Zeppelin. I may even go one step further and say (at the risk of blasphemy) that I would sell my soul for Zep tickets. They are far more epic than Pearl Jam. Put us down for 2 votes for Led Zeppelin.

Illumine said...

I'm going to disagree (in the exact parallel manner) to Bri & Andy: I love Led Zeppelin. They would definitely poll higher than Pearl Jam on the epic list, but I would way rather see the Pearl Jam setlist played than Led Zeppelin's.

Illumine said...

PS, I posted the poll on my facebook account. So, hope that helps :D

Lindsay said...

I would have to say both bands are good, maybe even great. However, when talking about the top 10 bands of all time, pretty sure Pearl Jam wouldn't make the cut. Led Zepplin is there no questions asked. I know Brock would agree with me as well. Two votes for Led Zepplin.

Josh said...

Zeppelin please.

Lindsay said...

Stacey Francom Davis (from FB) So I looked at that blog to vote for the best band of all time, and I was like, what? These are my choices? Forget it! I don't even like rock music. Get a bluegrass band up there for crying out loud! So I told Ryan about it, and he was so mad that Pearl Jam was even in the running. Haha.

(That would be Ryan Davis from dear old Lakeview)

Andyaaaaaaaa said...

I don't really think you can compare two bands from different times/genres/etc. objectively, and say one or the other is "greater", or "more epic", or even "melts more face". Therefore I think our dear pollsters were wise to boil it down to a simple question that even a baby could answer. I love both bands. But I'd rather see Pearl Jam.

Illumine said...

Mike says "You just can't beat Led Zeppelin"

Mique said...

It seems I am in the minority, but I would definitely rather see Pearl Jam. Nothing against Led Zeppelin, of course, but my vote goes with Pearl Jam.

Mique said...

Also, I have asked a few people, and they (meaning 3 of them) voted for Led Zeppelin. Just FYI :)